Reporting bullying or abuse
Reporting bullying or abuse

If someone is bullying or abusing you and you feel upset, worried, anxious or scared you should always tell a trusted adult who can help you.

Sometimes children feel ashamed about what has happened to them, or feel scared that they will get into trouble if they tell. But there are lots of people who care about you and want you to be happy, and they would like to know when something is troubling you. Telling someone can make it stop and can make you feel better.

People to Tell

There are lots of people in your life that you could talk to about your worries, such as:

  • A teacher at school
  • Your parents or grandparents
  • Another family member, such as an aunt, uncle or older brother or sister
  • A police man or woman
  • A counsellor at school
  • A dinner lady or classroom helper
  • A youth worker at your local youth centre
  • A close, trusted friend who can help you tell an adult

There are also lots of ways to report things that are troubling you online or over the phone.

  • CEOP Report It button – You might have seen the Report It button on certain websites. When you press this button the information you write goes to a special department of the police, who help people who are being bullied or threatened online, or are receiving nasty messages or contact from a person they don’t know online, or someone is threatening them over the Internet. You can also report at
  • CAABS – The Child Abuse Anti-Bullying System helps young people to report incidents of bullying over the Internet, straight to CABBY, the friendly helper Click this link to report an issue to CABBY.
  • – Sometimes people will commit a crime against a person targeting a part of who they are that they cannot change, such as their age, their race, their religion or faith, their disability, etc. This is called a hate crime. The police take these crimes very seriously. You can report a hate crime online by visiting

ChildLine – you can also report your worries and concerns to ChildLine. Their trained helpers will support you to tell an adult about what’s happening. You can call free of charge on 0800 1111. There are more organisations to contact on our Useful Phone Numbers page.